About Me

My photo

Anything outdoors!  Tornadoes, eagles, blizzards, or auroras.  If it is in the sky, running through the woods or swimming in the water, I'm there!

Followers

Thursday, April 8, 2010

FIRE at night near Howard Lake MN

April 8 2010 Howard Lake MN fire

As we were heading over to the south house (Melinda's) for dinner tonight. We heard a transmission to Wight County dispatch that the Howard Lake Fire Department was going to perform a prescribed burn just outside of the city limits at 6:30 pm. All though dinner, it kept bugging me that I should probably go check it out. When it was time to get the kids home, Cailyn noticed a very prominent smoke plume off to the southwest so after a quick vote, we all decided it was worth heading down to check it out even though it was about 45 minutes past sunset. This was a good exercise on estimating distances ala "how far is that tornado?".

April 8 2010 Howard Lake MN fire

Cullen guessed 15 miles out, I guessed 10 and Cailyn came in with "I have no idea". About this time Cullen brought up the 8-10-07 Mobridge, SD tornado which was 52 miles away from our location (thanks to Scott Olson for helping figure this out).

April 8 2010 Howard Lake MN fire

I wish I had a tripod with me but sometimes you gotta compromise so by setting the camera on a rail track and using the timer, I was lucky enough to get a few OK shots of the fire.

Fire season is always interesting up here, but I am SO ready to shoot some storm images! Hopefully the GFS advertised trough pans out next week and we actually get something...anything. Bueller? Bueller??

1 comment:

Midwestchaser said...

Learned on Monday that elevated hailers are NOT a cure for SDS, they're just another dissapointment.

Post a Comment