About Me

My photo

Anything outdoors!  Tornadoes, eagles, blizzards, or auroras.  If it is in the sky, running through the woods or swimming in the water, I'm there!

Followers

Tuesday, December 15, 2009

12-15-09 Ice Pillars and -9°F sure feels better than -46°C

Photobucket

Melinda scared the crap out me this morning when she said "northern lights". I had one of those WTH!!??? moments as I went running to the window expecting to see the usual flowing green ribbon spiking up high into the sky. When I looked outside, I wasn't disappointed there were no auroras but more so surprised there were light pillars. They are pretty common up here when arctic air settles in but it was only -9°F. So, after I got the kids eating breakfast headed out to the back yard with a camera and tripod in tow. Wish I had gotten out a little earlier as it was pretty light when I took this. Light out, but pretty cold without a hat and gloves. As I stood there admiring what was left of the pillars, I thought about the cold a couple of days ago in Alberta, Canada where the air temp lows dropped to -46°C...or -51°F. Yup, now that is cold! I felt -55°F back in February of 1996. Sympathy for the devil.

No comments:

Post a Comment