About Me

My photo

Anything outdoors!  Tornadoes, eagles, blizzards, or auroras.  If it is in the sky, running through the woods or swimming in the water, I'm there!

Followers

Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Waaaaay out of practice! First iridium flare in a long, LONG time

Iridium flares are something I used to play around with quite a bit. The key words here are "used to". I am so out of practice it's not funny and tonight proved it. Cailyn and I headed out to Lake Mary to shoot a -3 magnitude flare. I couldn't find the compass so I used the Magellan hand held GPS. This is an older model and doesn't refresh fast enough to my liking. The flare was 125­° SE at 47°. Well, the first issue was getting to 125 since the dumb GPS would jump from 105 over to 130. Guesstimation time. The altitude is always easy around 45° since it is half was from the horizon to straight up overhead. Cailyn and took a couple of practice shots to make sure ISO 200 @ f6.3 and 25s would get the job done. Ready, set (counting down to 20:04:27)...crap. The clock on the GPS was also off by about 5 seconds as I hit the shutter button at what I thought was 20:04:22...it was more like 26 as you can see by the shot.

Photobucket

I really felt like I was fumbling through the whole thing tonight. Next time...(and I'll use my cable release!)

No comments:

Post a Comment