Followers

Sunday, August 12, 2012

August 8 2012 AWESOME sunet in the kayak!

Photobucket

Sorry about the randomness of this photo. It really doesn't go with this theme of this entry but I like the photo and wanted to share it with my readers. I haven't been out shooting as much as usual lately. The 2012 chase season was incredibly slow between ridging and weak flow aloft so I've had a lot of time to just think. I'm at a crossroads in my life again and I've learned I make some of my best decisions on gravel roads. It's also a good time to have a chat with the man upstairs.

The following images were taken with the old Sony HC1 5.1mp point and shoot which my 9 year old daughter shoots on August 8th in Lake Maria State park on my Wednesday evening paddle.

Photobucket

Wednesday evenings I usually try to get a few hours of peace and quiet out in one of the 'yaks. When I can get a broken cloud deck with a gap near the horizon near sunset I always get a little excited as the possibility of the sun shining up at the underside of the clouds always makes for the possibility of some dramatic lighting for a few minutes.

Photobucket

I had some time to kill to I just paddled around the lake before the light show began. I know this lake very well but the weed growth this year is incredible. Not only has the record warm water temps allowed some of the vegetation to flourish, but also the algae in the water. There is actually a warning sign at the access of not swimming in the thickest areas or letting your pets drink the water.

Photobucket

One of the local year-round resident eagles.

Photobucket

A tree full of turkeys. This was a little weird as at first I didn't realize how may their were. All in all there about a dozen scattered among the trees in a 25 foot circle.

Photobucket

Serenity.

Photobucket

Playing around with reflections in the water.

Photobucket

Warped paddle.

Photobucket

SHOWTIME! This window was going to be very narrow in time so I positioned myself just west on an island looking towards the west shore of the lake.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

As quickly as it started, it was over. Total of about 5 minutes when it looked really good. There were some Tcu (towering cumulus clouds) somewhere off to the west which created the shadows causing the crepuscular rays. Having them turn red made it more beautiful. As I paddled back to the truck, my soul felt refreshed and ready to take on another day. I never get tired of doing this.

Photobucket

As we head into mid August, fall is starting to whisper it's arrival. The days are noticeably shorter, the leaves have lost their deep, lush, green hues as they slowly start to yellow, and the nights are much cooler. Cooler to the point the insects are loosing their grip on ruling the dark hours allowing for time to do nothing but stare up at the sky from the comfort of a reclining camp chair.

No comments:

Post a Comment