Followers

Monday, September 3, 2012

Shots From the Weekend & Kayaking the Prairie River into the Mississippi

Photobucket

A lot of people have been asking what happened to me. Long story short is we have a lot of stuff going on and I need to stay focused on details right now and the distractions of social media / cell phones / etc are not helping. So forgive me if I don't return a call and my FB profiles show as inactive. Stop by here for what you have always seen me produce but don't expect a whole lot of social interaction. My family needs me more than ever right now and there will always be time for the fun stuff later.

Photobucket

Spent Labor Day weekend at the in-laws up in Grand Rapids. Friday night we had a wonderful view of the Blue Moon as it lit up the north woods like it was daytime.

Photobucket

One of the few and far between cars on the road as a few clouds pass in front of the moon.

Photobucket

Saturday morning I was able to cross the Prairie River off my bucket list. I put in just east of Itasca Community College.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Some beautiful scenery along the route.

Photobucket

I would like to make this run again some day at higher water as there are 4 spots where it looks like the riffles and small rapids would be fun.

Photobucket

Coming into Grand Rapids. MN under highway 2 just upstream from the confluence with the Mississippi River.



Here is a video of the trip down the Prairie, into the Mississippi and out at the Herb Beers Access near Bruce and Sandy's.

Photobucket

My daughter trying to bring in a few sunfish at Big Splithand Lake that evening.

Photobucket

On Sunday we visited the Forest History Center. We drive past it all of the time but never stop. My daughter and I found it very interesting. I want to go back and see it in action in the winter with the horse drawn sleighs on the ice roads.

Photobucket

The highlight was climbing the 100 foot fire spotter tower. I climbed one as a kid and it it still a vivid memory to this day. Getting to share that same experience with my daughter was very special.

Photobucket

Another adventure for her. One step closer to passing the torch for me.

Photobucket

Pretty easy to pick out our car in the parking lot with the big mango colored yak on the top.

Photobucket

Looking downstream on the Mississippi towards downtown Grand Rapids and the Blandin Paper Mill.

Photobucket

The rain held off on Sunday evening allowing for one of the last camp fires of the year.

Photobucket

I realize I may be at a time where I need to re-invent who I am. This was something I have known for the last 8 years may be coming and it looks like it is going to happen.

Photobucket

So, as the pieces of the new puzzle of life are cut and I work to find the borders again, be patient with me. What rises from the ashes may surprise you.





No comments:

Post a Comment