About Me

My photo

Anything outdoors!  Tornadoes, eagles, blizzards, or auroras.  If it is in the sky, running through the woods or swimming in the water, I'm there!

Followers

Friday, November 21, 2008

Ice up!!! The Friday Fowl Commute is back!








Well, one step closer to settling into the idea it really is winter (without a snowpack). We have been well below freezing for about 48 hours now including a low of +8 last night. I shouldn't complain as with a snowpack, we would have been well below the donut.



After hanging out with Melinda, Chad and Tivi at their office (Grand View Media...who publishes Bow Hunter World, Black's, etc...pretty cool huh?), I headed over to Lake Rebecca Park Reserve as with iceover ocurring last night I figured there would be some waterfowl keeping a space in the lake open. I figured it would be mostly giant Canada geese and mallards. Usually there is a bald eagle or two hanging around looking to snipe a duck. Well, I was surprised to find a bunch of trumpter swans mixed in with the ducks and geese and sure enough, saw 3 eagles. Two were really high and migrating off to the southeast. One however, a young male I think, was looking for a meal and sure enough, duck was on the menu tonight. I chose a spot to sit on a log where I could see most of the fock but as luck would have it, I couldn't see around one little bend where the kill took place. Only a distant look through the spotting scope as the eagle headed off to the south with a bluebill or ringnecked duck locked in it's talons is all I got.



Tomorrow the kiddos and I will likely head to the National Eagle Center in Wabasha provided the sun is out.

No comments:

Post a Comment