About Me

My photo

Anything outdoors!  Tornadoes, eagles, blizzards, or auroras.  If it is in the sky, running through the woods or swimming in the water, I'm there!

Followers

Monday, July 18, 2011

July 17 2011 - 3 tornado warned supercells

Not too often you can leave an hour after a tornadic sup goes up early enough in the day where you can drive 3 hours to intercept, chase it for a couple of hours until it dies, then go after 2 more warned sups, dodge an EF3, and still be on the road home before the sun hits the horizon.

FULL CHASE ACCOUNT HERE

Photobucket

Photobucket

4 comments:

Michael Thompson said...

Hi Bill, nice photos! I love that first one! I was at that storm, closer in, and did not see that awesome wrap around look. Sometimes being too close one can miss a lot of good things!
Anyhow, I need to get a good wide angle lens and I was wondering what you used for that shot, thanks
MT

mnwxchaser said...

Hi Michael. Congrats at getting the only clean view of the Berlin torn. I had it less than 2 miles to my northwest coming at me while I was in Berlin and couldn't see it. Again awesome job on getting that shot. Anyhow, the shot was taken with a Tokina 11-16 f2.8 at 11mm wide open. I'll need to post some of the vertical shots at some point as even with a superwide, I could barely get it in the frame from that distance.

Michael Thompson said...

Thanks! I was very fortunate to get a very short window where that thing was barely visible, then it closed up again for good. I got a little help on the pics from my contrast slider too :)
Anyhow, thanks for the lens info, I shoot with a Canon Sxi, would that lens be compatible with it?
Keep up the good work, your photos of storms and wildlife have been really inspiring to me for almost a year now!

David Drufke said...

Great pics! Love the color.

Post a Comment